1994 J Boats J/120
Yacht price :
A must see HASL FREE is located in San Diego! at SDYC. She has recently undergone a refit where all deck hardware removed exterior repainted Hull and Deck, Mast and Boom repainted, all new Harken deck rigging fittings holes filled and re drilled, new headliner on interior - best looking J/120 around !
HASL FREE is now ready for a new home, and will make her next owner very happy - whether racing with in the J/120 class/ phrf or just out cruising this J/120 that will turns heads with her stunning good looks and put you on the podium !
- J Boats
- SAN DIEGO, CA, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- HASL FREE
- Boat Type:
- Racer and Cruiser
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Rod Johnstone
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 40 ft - 12.19 meter
- 40 ft - 12.19 meter
- 12 ft - 3.66 meter
- Draft - max:
- 7 ft - 2.13 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- Dry Weight:
- 13900 lbs
- Cruise Speed:
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Fuel Type:
- 40 (Individual), 40 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
Hasl Free is a refurbished J120 sailboat which has been very competitive in fleet races in Southern California in both buoy and offshore events. In the Fleet Four J120 Association, it has taken first place in the offshore series and second place in the championship series. As a result of recent upgrades, it has the appearance of a new boat. It is a very comfortable cruiser as well.
Here is a summary of some of the improvements that have been made to the boat since current owner acquired her.
HULL SUMP / KEEL
The first 24 J120s built had an under-sized sump area, which made them vulnerable to the possibility of keel separation. After experiencing the start of as keel separation in 2007, Hasl Free was returned to Pearson Composites (previously TPI Composites) in Warren, RI, to have a new sump area built and to have modifications made in the keel to reinforce the support for the keel. Under the supervision of a marine engineer hired by the owner plans were drawn up by TPI Composites, the sump area was removed and a new sump portion of the boat was manufactured and installed. The keel was also modified to lengthen some of the keel bolts to create a stronger connection to the newly constructed sump area. Since that modification, there have been no signs of a separation between the keel and the sump area.
The first 24 boats weighed about 12,900 pounds, compared with a weight for boats with a hull number of 25 and above of 13,900 pounds. The addition of the heavier sump area and the strengthening of the keel attachment increased the weight of the boat substantially, reducing the amount of lead which Hasl Free has been required to carry to ensure that her weight for racing was comparable to the other J120s in the Southern California fleet.
BOTTOM FAIRED - 2018
The bottom has been regularly maintained and, in 2018, the bottom was faired, utilizing the expertise of Brad Fitzgerald, recognized as one of the best hull designers/restorers. There was no sign of any separation of the keel from the sump portion of the boat when the bottom was repainted.
BOAT PAINTING / MAINTANENCE - 2011
In 2011, the boat was painted and a new non-skid surface was applied to the deck. Repairs were made to the lifelines, stanchions, and pulpits, as well as to the boom attachment to the mast. A new Force 10 stove was added. The chain plate on the port side was replaced. New standing rigging was installed. New hatches were installed.
REFIT - BOAT /MAST/BOOM PAINTING / HARDWARE UPGRADES - 2017
In 2017, the entire hull and deck were painted, filling in any age cracks in the deck by grinding them out and filling them. A new non-skid surface was applied. All of the hardware on the deck was removed and, in most cases, replaced with new hardware, including larger and stronger XX0812 spinlock clutches, a new traveler, new lifelines and Garhauer stanchions, a Vang Master Boom Vang, a new Harken backstay adjuster, a new forestay and furler, and other upgrades. The Mast and boom were removed and repainted, in addition to a new outhaul system in the boom and new wiring in the mast. The spinnaker pole was replaced in 2015. Blocks and other hardware have been upgraded to maximize performance. The seat cushions were reupholstered and the headliner replaced, along with the teak trim.. A new sail cover, with a sun awning and J120 emblem, and a wheel cover were added. The engine was removed and aligned. Lines and halyards have been upgraded.
During this renovation , a new B&G electronic system was installed, including a Zeus2 9" display; a Triton Pilot High Current Autopilot; an RC42 Compass; an RF25N Rudder Feed; 5 Triton displays; an ICOM 424 VHF and VHF3 antenna; AIS Class B Transceiver; Triton speed, depth, and wind instruments; and a Navico GoFree WIFI module. All are in excellent working condition.
Although the boat has the original engine (Yanmar 3JH3-E-40hp), a new transmission was added in 2009; a new starter was installed in 2016. The engine has been regularly maintained in accordance with Yanmar recommendations. The 27 gallon capacity fuel tank was replaced and the tank has been professionally cleaned since installation. There is a martec folding prop, and a spare prop.
The head was replaced in 2018 and the lines are new. A 14 gallon holding tank is under the V berth in the bow area. The head/shower sump pump has been upgraded.
A new Adler-Barbour refrigeration system was installed in 2016.
STEERING / WHEEL./ RUDDER
The Edson 48" Diamond Series wheel was powder-coated in 2016. The Rudder was removed and inspected in 2017 and had its bearing replaced in 2011.
HASL FREE is ready to cruise or to race on acquisition. manuals on almost all of the equipment so that your learning curve should be made more simple.
- ALL NEW B&G NAV ELECTRONICS
- B&G ZEUS 2 12" GPS/CHARTPLOTTER
- B&G AUTOPILOT
- B&G TRITON (3) ON COMPANIONWAY SEAHOOD
- B&G 20/20s (3) ON MAST BRACKET
- B&G VHF RADIO
The excellent sail inventory will enable a new owner to race competitively or to cruise with comfort immediately after purchase. Hasl Free has the following sails:
2016 - QUANTUM w taffeta reinforcement for long life. (17-110928)
2014 - ULLMAN GPL (17-020614)
2012 - ULLMAN Fiberpath Technora
- GENOA 105%:
2005 - NORTH 105% #4 Paneled GPL Heavy Kevlar
- GENOA 155%:
2017 - QUANTUM 155% GPL Carbon Tri Radial (113942)
2015 - QUANTUM 155% Tri Radial Fusion (102660)
2014 - NORTH 155% 3DL (17-020614)
2004 - LIDGARD 155% (17-090304)
2013 - 1A ULLMAN (17-020813-147)
2016 - 2A QUANTUM AIRX AZ600
2014 - 2A ULLMAN .5 oz (17-02-10-14)
2007 - 2A DOYLE .5 oz Formulon Fabric
SPARS AND RIGGING
- Hall Spars 6061-T6 tapered aluminum performance mast section with double airfoil spreaders, finished in white Awlgrip, w/painted black bands, steaming light, internal wire conduit.
- Hall Spars boom w/welded end fittings, 8:1 internal outhaul purchase system, mainsail reef sheaves, mainsheet bail, and vang lug. Finish in white Awlgrip
- Retractable Carbon Fiber J/Sprit extendable to 7' beyond bow w/molded GRP end caps.
- Rod Rigging (Replaced 2011)
- Hydraulic Backstay (NEW 2017)
- Rigid Boom Vang (NEW 2017)
- Mast and Boom (Repianted 2017)
DECK - STANDARD CONFIGURATION
- (2) Harken 48.2 STA (self-tailing) primary winches.
- (4) Harken 44.2 STA halyard & mainsheet winches.
- (2) 10" Speed-Grip & (2) 8" B8AL aluminum lock-in winch handles w/(3) PVC handle holders.
- Large cockpit storage locker & 2 lazarette lockers.
- 2:1 Mainsheet system of Harken Black Magic Blocks w/(3) 75mm 1969 leading to 1955 cheeks to P&S mainsheet winches.
- Molded stern platform w/swim ladder.
- Companionway instrument pod.
- Harken adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 purchase.
- Harken clear anodized jib & Genoa tracks.
- Harken Black Magic checkstay blocks system including (2) 57mm 1958 mounted to backstay chainplate & (2) 1963 transom cheek blocks.
- Harken Black Magic 75mm 1973 double footblocks outboard of cockpit for checkstay tails & spin sheets.
- 150 cams near primaries for spin. sheets when not in use.
- Disappearing checkstay system w/(3) Harken 082 bullets, hose clamps and shock cord.
- Harken 1969 spinnaker sheet blocks on Wichard 6544 U-bolts forward of stern pulpit legs.
- (6) Harken Black Magic 1958 halyard/reef turning blocks mounted on Wichard #6533A "U"-Bolts. Halyards lead aft through (2) Schaefer triple organizers to Spinlock stoppers.
- Roller furling control line w/Harken 168 foredeck block, S.S. lined bullseyes and Harken 150 cam cleat w/328 cam fairlead.
- 2:1 J/Sprit control line leading to (2) Harken 027 Sprit blocks, 023 block on forward bulkhead, & aft through bulkheads to cockpit 150 cam.
- (2) Bow chocks, (2) 10.5" bow cleats, (2) 8" stern cleats.
- Custom S.S. stemplate w/tack fitting & attachment studs for optional anchor roller, chainplates, & backstay tang.
- (5) Lewmar Ocean Series Hatches.
- (5) Bomar aluminum framed cabin opening ports and (1) fixed port on cabin sides (3) Bomar cockpit opening ports.
- Double 5/32" lifelines & tapered stainless stanchions w/custom bases, double S.S. bow & stern rails, and stern gate.
- (4) 12" x 24" poly mesh line bags.
HULL AND DECK
- Lloyd's approved, Baltek Contourkore end grained balsa composite construction using biaxial and unidirectional glass with vinylester resin on the outer hull layer.
TPI patented SCRIMP resin infusion system molding
process for optimum laminate strength with 65-70% glass
content in structural skins.
6,000 lb. 7.0' draft, variable chord, high lift, lead keel bolted
and epoxy bonded to deep molded stub w/sump.
- White deck with contrast gray non-skid. (Painted 2017)
- White gelcoat hull - (Painted 2017)
Varnished teak ORC 1.5" foredeck toe rails (Varnished 2019)
- Large aft cockpit storage locker & 2 lazarette lockers.
- Molded stern platform w/swim ladder.
Companionway instrument pod w /3 B&G Triton Displays
GRP molded structural bulkhead supporting chainplates
bonded to hull, deck, and mast step.
All intermediate bulkheads glassed to hull and deck for
stiffness. SCRIMP molded structural grid infused to hull during
- MAINSAIL COVER w/SIDE DECK ROLL OUT COVERS
- WHEEL COVER
- HATCH COVERS
- DODGER FRAME AND CANVAS (NOT INSTALLED)
- Wood paneling with varnished teak cold molded trim, teak drawer and cabinet faces.
- Cushions in LT BLUE SUNBRELLA material - (NEW 2017)
- Varnished teak & holly cabin sole.
- Forward cabin w/private head entrance, hanging locker with mesh cover, changing seat with cushions, storage below, duffel storage bin below berth, and bureau with drawers to starboard.
- Aft cabin to starboard including hanging locker with mesh cover, changing seat outboard w/ storage under, and large berth measuring 48"x78"x29".
- Settee berths in main cabin with large backrest storage compartments, shelves, and storage outboard of back rests.
- Deluxe bolstered cushions
- Drop-leaf table with cold molded fiddles & stainless base.
- Large chart table w/chart storage and hinged overhead electrical & instrumentation panel. Tool storage below hinged seat.
- Head with two access doors (from fwd stateroom and main cabin) including a manual shower, sink, vanity, mirror, and storage. This area contains mast & separate sump with grate.
- Stainless companionway ladder with varnished teak treads & non-skid strips.
- Vinyl headliner overhead in main, forward and aft cabins. (NEW 2019)
- Gimbaled, 2 burner Force 10 propane stove & oven (New 2011)
- Highly polished stainless double sink recessed below 1/2" off-white Fountain head counter covering.
- Vertical stainless grab post.
- Molded 6.0 cu.ft. refrigerated icebox with 4" foam insulation, dual lids, utility storage shelf and slider.
- (2) Dry goods storage areas w/ shelf & acrylic slider covers.
- Cup/Bowl & Plate storage on aft galley bulkhead.
- Two utensil drawers
- Pot storage cabinet with mid-height shelf below drawers.
- Laminated cold molded fiddles.
- Additional pot and pan storage under oven.
- Trash storage under sink w/flip lid access.
- Cabinet for cleaning supplies under sink.
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
- Electric bilge pump with manual or float switch mode.
- Manual fresh water foot pump in head and galley.
- 75-gallon water capacity with 2 baffled tanks under settees.
- Raritan Marine head with 13 gallon holding tank and "Y" valve and overboard discharge pump. (NEW 2018)
- Refrigerated Icebox drain with valve. (NEW 2016)
- Head/shower sump pump.(UPGRADED 2018)
- Cockpit fresh water shower.
- (5) Marelon seacocks and double-clamped hoses below the waterline.
- Deluxe lighting package with overhead halogen in galley, dedicated swing out nav light, swiveling tulip & dome lights.
- (3) Lifeline 3100 AGM batteries. (New 2016)
- Bass 12V DC metered panel.
- Bass battery switch with 100 amp DC main breaker.
- 110V Shorepower system including 110V panel, three 110V outlets, 50' shore cord and receptacle.
- ProMariner Galvanic Isolator with monitoring device
- UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color coded wiring throughout.
- Navigation lights and steaming light.
ENGINE - DIESEL
Yanmar 3JH3-E-40hp removed and realigned in 2017
NEW starter was installed in 2016.
NEW transmission was added in 2009.
The engine has been regularly maintained in accordance with Yanmar recommendations. The 27 gallon capacity fuel tank was replaced and the tank has been professionally cleaned since installation.
martec folding prop, PLUS a spare prop.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.